HomeHomeAboutPhotosRace ReportsCalendarForumRosterSponsorsWild Card St. Louis
Indy Cross


Posted by Karl on 10/30 at 06:44 AM • (0) CommentsPermalink
Tri the Illini

Martin, Ron, and I raced this sprint triathlon on the University campus on September 22. It marked the end of the racing season for Ron and I, while it provided an opportunity for Martin to tune up for the fall Ironman season. The race has grown in popularity in recent years among both collegiate and age group triathletes throughout the Midwest. It is now one of the largest sprint races in downstate Illinois with nearly 500 participants. The weather was nearly perfect for the 300-meter pool swim, the 14.5 mile bike to Yankee Ridge and back, and the 5k run around the quad and south campus. Ron started us off in the time-trial swim, where racers lined up in order of their predicted time, while Martin and I followed with very strong bike and run splits. Despite a few hiccups - Martin fighting through the swim with a dislocated shoulder, Ron making a wrong turn at an unmanned fork in the run course, and me getting lost returning my bike in the second transition - all 3 of us finished 2nd in our respective age groups and punched our qualification cards for the 2014 USAT Age Group National Championships. I also placed 3rd on the overall age-group podium (of 296 competitors) and all of us were competitive with the 150+ collegiate racers, most less than half our ages. Full results at http://itsracetime.com/Results.aspx?ID=673.

Photo attached, courtesy of Martin’s wife Nancy (sorry for overlooking the unzipped suit!)


Posted by Karl on 10/10 at 05:52 AM • (0) CommentsPermalink
State MTB


Melinda Campbell Higley, State Champion, Womens 20-29

Posted by Karl on 09/23 at 06:38 AM • (0) CommentsPermalink
Patriot CX,


Mud Pit Pile Up, Cat 4/5

Posted by Karl on 09/11 at 12:41 PM • (0) CommentsPermalink
Gateway Cup

The Gateway Cup has been a fixture in St. Louis on Labor Day weekend for 22 years. I raced the cat 4/5 and the masters events on Monday in the Benton Park neighborhood. Larry Johns also did both races. The 4/5 race was marred by crashes as usual. The first major crash occurred in a narrow chicane. I bridged back, but it took some effort. The second crash occurred along the start-finish straight - a careless touch of wheels near the right barrier. I thought I could get around the left side without touching the brakes, but then another rider went down in the center of the road and rolled left. There was only 1 lap to go and I could not close another gap as the pace quickened. I pulled away from the other riders that were caught out by the crash, finishing solo in 15th. The masters race was uneventful, but fast. (Lap 2 of this race was my fastest of the day.) Larry and I were 2 of only four cat 4s in a field of about 50. I only lasted a couple laps in the pack, but riders were dropping off regularly. I had soon picked up 4 riders. We worked for several laps before it was announced that we had 1 to go. The lap counter showed 6, but we were getting pulled. One rider took a flyer. The rest of us kept working together but could not catch him. As we rounded the last corner, the rider on the front dropped off and announced that he was not racing. I was in second wheel and stayed there until about 200m to go. It seemed rather silly to sprint for 37th place, but this was “my race” and I could use the experience. I unleashed what I had. A few seconds later, Richard from Michelob Ultra started to come around, but I hit the line with about a half a wheel to spare. (I suspect he let me win because he was the first rider I picked up.) Any day of racing with the rubber side down is a good day, but I may refrain from future races with the “crash 5s.”

Results: http://gatewaycup.com/assets/Benton-Park-Classic-Results-2013.09.02.pdf


Friday 4/5:
Other than a crash on the second corner, the race was uneventful for most of the time.  It was very hot, as were all the races I was in.  2 laps from the end I saw an attack get free, so I attacked on my own and bridged up to them.  It was only when I looked back that I realized that my effort had pulled the entire field up to them (oops).  I was about 8th coming around the final corner, but there was a long way to the finish.  I sat in for a bit, then attacked when I saw others attacking up ahead.  I passed all but one by the finish, missing first by a few inches.  Larry finished 6th.  In hindsight I should’ve attacked a little earlier.

Friday 4:
I was on an adrenaline rush from the 4/5 race, but Soon after then start I realized that I was still tired and not as strong as I was in the 4/5 race.  I had a hard time making my way to the front, and a hard time staying near the front when I got there.  I was planning to lead Rick out, so he grabbed my wheel with about 3 or 4 to go.  I unfortunately managed to wear myself out trying to keep him near the front, and blew up with 1 or 2 to go.  Rick finished 9th, and I rolled home with the field.

Saturday 4/5:
As soon as the race started I realized I had still not recovered from Friday.  For most of the race it was all I could do not to drop.  However, on the last lap I must have found something and was able to move up, and get close enough to salvage a 5th place finish in the sprint.  I think I need to do more long rides next year so I can handle multiple races better.


Posted by Karl on 09/11 at 11:07 AM • (0) CommentsPermalink
Page 1 of 15 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »
Random Photos: